Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Riprap/Wildcat Loop: perfect day, perfect trails

Today was a perfect day for hiking and I hiked on the most beautiful trail yet:  the Riprap Trail.  Oddly enough, I saw more hikers today than I've seen on any of my earlier hikes too.  I think they're related.

I parked at the Riprap Trail parking lot off Skyline Drive in the Southern District.  I got a fairly late start (10 AM) because it's a 3 hour drive.  The Riprap Trail first descends to a saddle and then climbs up Calvary Rocks then Chimney Rock with panoramic vistas to all sides.





On the gentle descent after the high point there were more scenic pullouts and plenty of views from the trail



Although the day started out cloudy, little patches of sun gave way to a sunny day with a few scattered clouds.

After descending a while, the trail joins a beautiful stream complete with cascades, pools (too bad the temperature was in the 40s), and plenty of stream chatter.



There were many side trails to swimming holes and campsites (probably illegal).  I remember well camping here on one of my shakedown cruises before I hiked the A.T.  It has gotten more overgrown in the last six years, probably because of enforcement of camping regulations.  Close to the valley, I came across the mother of all swimming holes.  I'll have to go back during the summer.

Shortly thereafter I met the Wildcat Ridge Trail.  Before ascending, however, I needed to walk out the 0.9 miles of the Riprap Trail to the Park Boundary.  I was a little worried about hunters illegally doing their thing within the Park, but my fears were allayed when I met 4 women walking a few dogs up the trail.  On this section too the stream is lovely and there are many campsites.  After returning to the Wildcat Ridge Trail I followed it a short distance to the stream crossing where I plonked down to have a quick lunch.

Stripping down to t-shirt, I then started the ascent, sometimes steep, of the Wildcat Ridge.  First it passed through a wonderful ravine of sorts with huge rocks and cliffs to both sides.  Then is crossed the stream and swung up out of the valley.  I love hiking after the leaves have fallen because you get great views.  This trail, like many in the South District, slabs along the side of ridges and provides lots of winter views.  As with much of the South District, this area also has lots of old rock slides which helps the views as well.  I made the ascent in very good time, telling me I have recovered much of the fitness I lost to my broken rib.  At the junction with the AT, I continued on to the parking lot (a very long 0.1 mi.) and returned, just to complete the trail.  Then I walked north on the AT.  I have already walked this section of the AT at least once this year.  It too provides panoramic winter views to the south and west.  Although the warning sign was still up about aggressive bears, I saw none.

When I returned to my car (around 2:30) part of the group I had met on the Riprap Trail was there waiting for their car shuttle mates to return.

Total mileage for day:  11.3.  New trails:  2.  New trail mileage:  7.2. 



No comments:

Post a Comment