Total Pageviews

Monday, December 10, 2012

Patterson Ridge, Big Run Portal and Big Run Loop

On Dec. 4 (after a one week hiatus to visit my father in Florida), I hiked a very pleasant loop in the South District.  After paking in the Loft Mt. Wayside parking lot, I went north a short way on Skyline Drive to the Patterson Ridge trail and ascended steeply from the road.  This is a true ridge trail with good winter views to both sides.  It goes up and down a number of high points with some lovely overlooks along the way. 



The day was incredible for early Dec. ... close to 70 degrees I believe.  I hiked in shorts and t-shirt.  I reached the bottom (Big Run Portal Trail) in good time and started up that lovely trail. 
I couldn't tell if Big Run had less or more water than the last time but the few stream crossings I made seemed to have less convenient rocks to step on.




I was even tempted to take a dip in Big Run but decided that was pushing the season a little much. 


 I saw not a soul.  When I reached the junction with the Big Run Loop Trail, I chose the northern half (thus completing that trail) and finally encountered 2 other hikers.  The trail ascends gently uphill to the Big Run Overlook.  Then I walked across Skyline Drive to the Doyles River parking lot to pick up the AT north. 

While the woods were generally brown, I noticed lots of bright pink American Beautyberry and the almost neon purple stems of blackberries.  My camera couldn't quite catch the shocking purple of the blackberries but I tried.


. There were viewpoints en route to Loft Mt. and from the top.  It was in fact a gorgeous day. 


Great hike.  Total miles:  11.3 completing 2 trails. 

I've now gone back to my Excel table of trails to divide up the AT into smaller sections.  Having nixed an AT Shenandoah thru hike because of the broken rib, I'm now going back the recording all the little AT sections I've already hiked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment