Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hot-Short & Sweet

Today was simply too beautiful a day not to be out on the trail.  The temperatures were in the 40s, the sun was out and the air was clear.  So I decided to take my still-mending rib for a short spin. 

I parked at Nethers and walked up the ever-enchanting Nicholson Hollow Trail.  I was once again reminded how lovely the Hughes River is, regretting that I didn't make it back here during the summer so I could take a dip.


After 1.7 miles from trail head (which is about 0.5 miles from parking lot) I turned right up the Hot-Short Mt. Trail.  This climbs steadily up, first along an old stone wall and then along a lovely stream, between Hot and Short Mountains to the Hazel Mt. Trail. 

I remembered why I like winter hiking.  When the leaves are off the trees you have great views.  I knew that Sandy had dumped some snow on the Shenandoahs and the high winds had probably downed a bunch of trees.  So I tried to clear the branches off the trails whenever I could.  On the Nicholson Hollow trail I found 4 trees down across the trail. 

En route up the Hot-Short Trail, I encountered two other hikers, one of whom was Cliff who I had met through the Vigorous Hikers.  He recognized me first and asked me how my rib was doing!  Amazing to meet someone I know and then to find out he reads my blog!  And of all places to meet him.  On the basis of a query I had put in my blog way back in February, he had told me how to get back to Nethers from the base of the Pine Hill Gap Trail (which I was about to hike!).  So it was a triple delight to see him!  Thanks Cliff!

The higher I climbed, the more downed trees and limbs I encountered.  I estimate there were at least 10 of them in the last mile of the Hot-Short Trail.  When I reached the height of land I found some vestigial snow but not enough to care about.  Driving in it was clear that the main ridge of the Shenandoahs had plenty of snow cover.

 I guess the elevation here wasn't high enough. 

At the trail junction (after 2.1 miles) of  Hot-Short, Hazel Mt., and Pine Hill Gap Trails I sat down for a quick lunch.  Then I proceeded down the Pine Hill Gap Trail.  Slowly at first because there were many downed trees and limbs.  After I got finished with climbing over, under, and through trees, the going was slow because the Pine Hill Gap trail is a horse trail and as a result there are lots of loose rocks which, combined with a deep bed of dead leaves, makes is hard to figure out where to put one's foot.  I'm not sure where is the Pine Hill but I did see a nice stand of pines close to the bottom of the trail.


When I reached the final trail post  (2.1 mi) I followed Cliff's instructions and turned right down an obvious horse trail (old forest road).  In spite of lots of downed trees, I was able to follow it all the way to a bunch of cabins at the end of VA 707.  Then I followed the dirt road back to VA600 and the parking lot in Nethers. 

My rib felt great except when I took deep breaths.  I was very happy to be back on the trail. 

total mileage for the day 7-8 miles.  New trails:  2.  New trail mileage:  4.2 mi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment