Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Slaughter Rd/Pocosin Hollow circuit

On July 5 I returned the the SNAP 500 after a long hiatus.  It was not a great day.  I couldn't find the road at the bottom (map reading failure) so I belatedly made my way into the Park and started up on the ridge.  I hate doing trails that way because I end up going uphill in the heat of the day.  I started down the Slaughter Road. late (10:30) and was quite disappointed to see it filled with long grass, prime territory for deer ticks.  But I did catch sight of a cute box turtle.

Also some Indian Pipes coming out.

After the trail left the park (or at least the signs would indicate so), the road cleared out but I still found a regular tick crawling up my leg.  By the time I reached the Conway River (3.8 miles according to the milepost), I was hot so I hopped in for a quick dip.  Then I walked the final 0.3 miles (according to the milepost) to the road.  I had a great deal of trouble finding the Pocosin Hollow Trail, in part because I got confusing directions from a local man.  If I had just stuck with my map I would have been ok.  Instead I walked up and down the road (VA667) in the broiling sun for about an hour.  Finally, after walking up private roads with occasional signs, I found the trail and the SNP again.  I stopped for lunch but wasn't hungry, just overheated.  Shortly thereafter the trail crossed the stream and I took another dip.  If felt absolutely wonderful.  In about my fifth stupid mistake of the day, I lost my glasses while transferring my pack (upon which they rested) from the stinging nettle patch to a rock.  After 1/2 hour of searching with myopic eyes I gave up and packed up to leave.  Luckily I caught sight of them wedged between the rock and the stream just at the last moment.  Even better, by the time I finally started hiking again, I was totally cooled down.  The hike up the Pocosin Hollow Trail was lovely, with the brook burbling next to me.  I took another opportunity to submerge my head underwater.  Met a youth group out with backpacks along the way.  I stopped briefly at the Pocosin Cabin to have a snack (still not hungry) and a drink.  Then rapidly continued back to the car along the AT.  Just north of Lewis Mt. Campground I saw a large black lump in the middle of the trail.  It was a bear!  It didn't really seem to want to move (who would in the 90 degree heat?) but I got my camera out and got it's picture just as it got to a standing position.  When the auto flash went off, it raced away crashing through the woods.  In fact, I think there might have been a second bear too, given the noises. 
Although only around 13 miles (according to guidebook) or maybe 11.8 (3.8 Slaughter + 0.3 Conway R. + 0.3 road + 4.6 Pocosin Hollow & Fire Road + 2.8 AT), given the heat and the late hour I started that was more than enough.  This trip was a good opportunity to remember what I need to bring on my outings (because I forgot them) and also to shake me up about map reading.  It also suggests to me that I need to delay walking on the "road" trails until it's cooler.  In my experience "roads" have very high grass and are likely to have ticks so I need to wear long sleeves and long pants. 

2 new trails completed.  Over 1/3 done on the side trail mileage!  28% of all miles (including AT). 

Side Trail Miles Side Trail Number

No comments:

Post a Comment