Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Figure 8 on a stick

There are a cluster of trails in the southeastern part of the Northern district of the Shenandoahs that lend themselves to a wide range of circuit hikes.  On July 24 I hiked two conjoined circuits by rehiking one mile of the Piney Ridge Trail.  In keeping with my hot weather strategy I got on the trail early and out in early afternoon.  After parking (only by reading the Shenandoah Trail Guide could I have figured out where to park), I hiked up the Piney Branch Trail, noting deep pools in the inviting stream for my return trip.  Note that there is no blazing where the trail winds its way through vacation homes ... you just take the obvious road. 

The vestigial stone walls reminded me that I was walking in what had once been a farming community.



Turning onto the Piney Ridge Trail, I ascended on a lovely, well-graded trail to the ridge.  No views, but it was breezy and seemed drier than the tropical forest in the stream valley.  More evidence that it will be an early fall.



After the junction with the Fork Mt. Trail, the pitch leveled out and I had a pleasant walk by many ripe blackberries and raspberries to PATC's Range View Cabin.  It was too early for lunch so I just sat down for a drink and to watch the myriad butterflies in the meadow.


Then I hiked a short distance along the A.T. until I met the Piney Branch Trail again.  I walked up to the Piney Branch Maintenance area and back (just to complete the trail) and then descended along the delightful Piney Branch Trail.

In addition to neat rocks, there were many waterfalls and cascades once I rejoined the actual Piney Branch.  It was impossible to take pictures of the cascades.  You have to go see them.  Lots of nice pools for dipping too.


At around 1 PM I started to hear thunder, just as I was reaching the junction with the Piney Ridge Trail for the second time.  I didn't see any lightening, there was no wind, and there were long periods between rumbles, so I decided to complete my intended journey for the day.  I reascended the Piney Ridge Trail and took the Fork Mountain Trail down to the Hull School Trail at a very fast trot.  By this time it was rainy lightly but steadily.  Then I sped down that little section of the Hull School Trail that connected back to the Piney Branch Trail.  I retraced my steps to the car along the Piney Branch trail, stopping briefly to dunk my head.  Since it was raining I didn't think it made sense to take a full body dip.  I was back to the car just after 2:30.

I constantly have to revise the excel table with trails.  I discovered on this trip, for instance, that the list double counted 0.2 miles of overlap between the Hull School Trail and the Piney Branch Trail.  

Mileage for the day (including side trips):  15.3
New trails:  3 (plus a new section of the Hull School Tr.)
New miles on new trails:  11.6
Total completed side trails to date:  77
Total miles on side trails to date:  192.6

Number of side trailSide trail miles

No comments:

Post a Comment