Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bears and Trail maintainers in North District

Today started out great!  I parked at the parking lot just off SR 614.  As I started up the Little Devils Stairs trail I heard a commotion off to my left.  About 50 feet away a large bear was taking off.  But then I saw one ... two ... three little cubs too.  One cub climbed up a tree so the mama came back.  She looked at me meaningfully and I backed up the trail a ways to give her space.  The little guy climbed down and they all scampered off.  The Little Devils Stairs trail is a delight.  Literally climbing up stairs (some created by PATC) beside a boisterous brook, it was a multisensory walk complete with flowers, butterflies, and neat cliffs.   

Stairs on Little Devil's Stairs




Because it was supposed to be a scorcher today, I got an early start.  It was still hot and muggy but in the shade the temperature was tolerable and a nice breeze cooled me off.


I should have gone in for a dip but I thought I'd have a chance on my way back downhill later in the day. Little did I know that the "Keyser run fire road" did not go near any "Keyser Run" stream. 

When I reached the junction with the Keyser Run Fire Road I was surprised and delighted to meet Peter and Maritza, the two trail maintainers for the trail I had just completed.

They were prepared for the worst (with a big two person saw) but when I told them the trail was completely clear they left it at the trail junction to recover later.  They clearly take their job seriously.  The trail was in excellent condition.  Thanks Peter and Maritza!

I then walked up the Keyser Run Fire Road, got onto the AT and found a great overlook soon thereafter.

I walked along the AT until the next road crossing where I took the Sugarloaf Trail.  That trail exemplifies many trails in the park:  nice moss alongside the trail and mountain laurels overhead.  Before I knew it I had reached the Pole Bridge Link Trail.  I walked over to the Piney Branch Trail and back then continued on to rejoin the Keyser Run Fire Trail again.  the PBLT is a fairly level trail that's useful when you want to do a circuit hike.  After rejoining the Keyser Run FT again, I descended.  Soon I saw something flash across the road.  At first I thought it might be a fox because it was low and quiet.  But then when I passed by where it had gone into the woods, I heard the familier crashing of a bear and sure enough saw its rump as it hightailed it into the woods.  Then just beyond that I heard yet another bear in the woods.  I guess it was my day for bears.  No photos of these shy creatures, unfortunately.  After an amazingly quick walk, I met up with the Hull School Trail, just after a graveyard where a tree had fallen over in the recent freaky weather.

I followed the Hull School Trail downhill to the Rocky Branch Trail hoping fervently that I would encounter the Rocky Branch (and hopefully a little pool) at the trail junction.  No such luck.  All I found were a bunch of downed trees along the path.  So I retraced my steps along the Hull School Trail (all uphill in the heat of the day) back to the Keyser Run Fire Road and hightailed it back to my car.

The Keyser Run Fire Road is the kind of Fire Road I think we should keep in the SNAP 500:  It's not a road road but nonetheless gets enough use or maintenance to provide clear tracks for walking.  AND it connects trails to facilitate circuit hikes.  As intended I was off the trail by 2 PM, just as the maximum heat built up.

As some neat fungi today and evidence that the drought is changing the leaves early





Mileage for day: 11.9 (or maybe 13.3).  New side trail miles:  9.3.  New side trails:  4.

Side Trail Miles



Side Trail Number
Miles as percent total miles (including AT):  35.4 (more than 1/3 there!)
Total Miles Hiked:  206

No comments:

Post a Comment