Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Summer in January

This has been absolutely the best year to start a local hiking challenge.  Who'd have guessed I'd be hiking in 60 degree weather on the last day of January!

The day started out chilly -- at 8 am I was dressed in t shirt, long sleeved cool max, rain/wind jacket and mittens.  I started up the Nicholson Hollow Trail.  The two stream crossings at the beginning are pretty easy but give me some anxiety because falling off the big boulder would undoubtedly hurt.



Just as I had a week before, though at a much more comfortable pace, I made my way up this delightful trail next to the loud and lively Hughes River.  By 9 AM a warm breeze blew in and I was down to t-shirt and considering unzipping my convertible pants.  Along the way I spied some cool rock outcroppings on the ridge just south of there (Thorofare Mountain?) and some giant boulders by the side of the trail.



By 10 I was back at Corbin Cabin and found a sleeping camper in his hammock.  Between the cabin and Skyline Drive the trail was delightful -- gently uphill (great trail work!) and gradually allowing for peekaboo views into the valley below.




By 11 I was up at Skyline Drive.  I then connected to the Appalachian Trail going south.  Once I got over to the western side of the ridge, the weather changed dramatically and I put my long sleeves and mittens back on.  There was ice on the trail and a chilly wind was blowing.


As I passed the Little Stony Man parking lot, a family was getting out of their car to take a hike but I never actually spoke to them.  Just up from the parking lot I took the Passamaquoddy Trail.  Another first for me.  Before the AT was routed close to the top of Stony Man, it used to be the A.T. and the trailwork shows it.  Those old CCC stone walls holding up the trail are still in great shape.  Just around the corner from the AT junction, the Passamaquoddy passes a gorgeous rocky outcropping with expansive views to the west.  Looking above you can see the steep stone cliffs of Little Stony Man.  The trail first descends, by some pretty interesting ice formations, then it ascends to Skyland. 

Here ice blocks the breadth of the Passamaquoddy Trail.
 
Although the book and map say the trail is 1.2 miles, the stone marker says 1.8.  I think there might have been an extension/relocation in Skyland.  The map is a bit confused.  I had hoped to add on the Furnace Spring Trail to my portfolio but the Passamaquoddy went way beyond the trail junction.  I believe it has been turned into the Skyland Nature Trail, or so the signs would suggest.  I have many more trails to hike in the Skyland area so I'll be back.

When I got to the Dining Hall I sat down on a rock for lunch enjoying the incredible views and the warm sunshine.  After lunch I walked up the various park roads to Skyline Drive and the Stony Man parking lot and took the Skyland/Big Meadows Horse Trail for a mile until it intersected with the Old Rag Fire Road, which I followed downhill for miles and miles and miles.  Walking on fire road can be fast and convenient but it's boring and hard on the legs and feet.  After about a mile, I took a quick out and back detour on the Corbin Mountain Trail to finish off the orphan trail I had left a week before.  Then down to the Weakley Hollow Fire Road, an old friend from the umpteen times I have climbed Old Rag.  Then the extra mile back to the parking lot.  I was quite concerned to see clearcutting on a property next to the road, quite close to what used to the the upper parking lot for Old Rag.  With all that fire road walking I was ready to drop.  As I approached the parking lot I was delighted to hear someone playing the mandolin.  Some guy in a trailer was playing to his own recorded accompaniment.  We chatted a bit before I left.

Total miles for the day:     17.5
New side trails completed:  4
Partial side trails:  2



No comments:

Post a Comment