Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hazel Country

 
I had heard about Hazel Country for years but never been there.  So on Jan. 30 I went there.  I got a late start from home and was further delayed by an accident so I didn't get on the trail until 10:20 and thought I needed a relatively short hike for the day.

Having parked at a miniscule parking space on Rt. 681 I proceeded up the Broad Hollow Trail.  What a delightful walk gently uphill next to a chatty stream for the first mile or so. 



It was a bit chilly -- upper 30s I'd say -- so I kept on my mittens and long sleeved coolmax shirt all the way to the top. 



At the trail junction between Broad Hollow and Hazel Mountain there used to be a school, according to the PATC Trail Guide.  I saw no trace of it, however.  There I took the Hazel Mountain Trail south to the Catlett Mountain Trail to the Catlett Spur Trail.  Although the day was warming quickly, there was a light dusting of snow on the Hazel Mt. Trail.



In case you're wondering, yes I did walk the extra 70 yards to meet up with the Hannah Run Trail, thereby not leaving a trail orphan.  The trails on the top of the ridge were broad with good even tread.  There used to be apple orchards and wheat farms up there, according to Shenandoah Secrets by Carolyn and Jack Reeder and Hazel Country was known to be "a stronghold of the mountain moonshiners" (ibid.).  I continued down the Catlett Spur Trail to rejoin the Hazel Mountain Trail, where I ate lunch next to a jolly stream.  At that point I realized I could knock off another trail orphan (Hazel Mountain Trail up to the Buck Ridge Trail (1.8 miles each way)) so I quickly hiked up and back on the old forest road.  By this time the sun was warm and bright.  After returning to the Catlett Spur Junction I continued on the Hazel Mountain Trail back to the junction with the Broad Hollow Trail.  Then I made an error.  Although I had (just the day before) plotted a route that continued further on the Hazel Mt. Trail and descended via the Pine Hill Gap Trail, which would return me to my car via a short road walk, I failed to consult my notes.  I descended via Broad Hollow.  En route I passed an interesting collapsed building and next door appeared to be another stone foundation.  I wonder who lived there?



It wasn't until later in the evening that I realized my error.  Luckily, the Pine Hill Gap Trail can be paired up with the Hot-Short Mountain Trail to make a circuit  (as long as I can find the vestigial road back to Nethers).  I may have to go out and get a USGS topo map for that trek since the PATC map does not even have a dotted line to show how to get from Pine Hill Gap to VA 707. 

Total miles for day:  11.2
New side trails:  3 (Broad Hollow, Catlett Mt., Catlett Spur)

No comments:

Post a Comment