Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Back to Hazel Country - Feb. 1 in the 60s

For my last day of serial hiking out of my wonderful B&B in Sperryville (House on Water Street ... it's superb) I chose to go back to Hazel Country.  this time I did a figure-8 hike, hiking one section twice so I could do two loops.

Parking on the side of Route 600 I walked up the private road to the sign indicating the Hazel River Trail.  Only I didn't pay attention.




Instead of following the arrow, I forded the stream to its right.  Then, realizing my mistake, I had to recross the river.  This time I got my feet wet.

As I proceeded up the Hazel River I had to cross it four more times.  The water was high and I didn't want to slip and fall so I just walked through the river.  Luckily my feet were already wet.  The trail then ascended on an old forest road up to a shoulder of Hazel Mt. where I met, yet again, the Hazel Mt. Trail (I had hiked here on Monday only today the snow was gone).  I retraced my steps from Monday to the northwest and turned onto the White Rocks Trail.  The White Rocks Trail is a wonderful trail I never would have discovered unless I had decided to walk all the trails in the park.  It is a gem and well worth the extra effort to get there. 

There must have been a major fire there in recent years because many trees were scorched.  This was another delightful trail that wended its way along the ridge.  Much to my surprise I encountered a side trail to Cave Falls.  This steep side trail was an engineering feat.  What incredible rock work!  The falls were well worth the trip and the cave was interesting too.


There was also a nice pool a little further down that would make a great place for a dip in the summer.


After returning to the trail, I loped along the ridge admiring the panoramic views to the north and wondering where exactly were these "white rocks" for which the trail was named.


Eventually I found the White Rocks, which had a great view, but the side trail was not marked




I took in the view and then descended steeply to the final crossing of the Hazel River that day.  This time I managed not to get my feet wet again.  I sat down by the river to eat my lunch and noticed lots of damage and devastation to the area.  It must have been a wind storm or something that knocked down all the trees.  Then I returned to the Hazel River Trail and climbed up to the shoulder of Hazel Mt. again.  Turning left I soon reached the intersection with the Broad Hollow trail I had hiked on Monday.  Because it was still early I decided to hike another trail orphan so I hiked to the southeastern end of the Hazel Mt. Trail where it meets the Hot-Short Trail, adding an extra 2 miles to my day.  I did it quite quickly because the trail was flat and well cushioned.  I STILL did not spy the old schoolhouse at the Broad Hollow/Hazel Mt. trail junction.  Then I hiked back to the car by way of the Sam's Ridge Trail which was another treat, although quite steep as it descended to the Hazel River at the end.

A great circuit hike would be to go up Sam's Ridge, over Hazel Mt. Trail to the White Rocks Trail, then down White Rocks and Hazel River Trails.  I suggest leaving the Hazel River until the end because it offers great dunking options and, if you have to get your feet wet with stream crossings, at least your feet aren't wet all day.


Total miles for the day:  15.7 trails plus 0.8 road
New sidetrails completed:  3

No comments:

Post a Comment