Total Pageviews

Friday, March 8, 2013

Snowshoeing from Thornton Gap to Pass Mt. Hut

Thornton Gap parking

Snowshoe tracks go deep (but you can't see that)


Mary's Rock from AT north of Thornton Gap
I wasn't sure what to expect after the snowstorm on Tuesday.  In DC we had virtually no snow but the webcam from VDOT suggested that US 33 through Swift Run Gap might be clogged with snow.  So I threw the snowshoes and ski poles in the car and headed up to Thornton Gap.  Skyline Drive was closed (natch) but US 211 had been well plowed and there was plenty of room to park a car safely along the side.

I still needed to hike the 3.4 miles from the Gap up to Beahm's Gap for the SNAP 500 so I thought for sure I could do that on snowshoes.  HMMM.  The snow was at least 16 inches deep, wet, sticky, and HEAVY.  My feet sank in 8-10 inches with each step.  And it seemed to get heavier as the day went on.  Since I was alone, I was breaking trail all the time.  It was slow and arduous going.  I was sweating like a pig and taking off layer after layer.  By the time I got to the sidetrail to Pass Mt. Hut I was spent and my legs were starting to cramp and it took me almost 1 1/2 hours.  At that rate it would take me 4 hours to get to Beahm's Gap.  So I turned around after a mere 1.2 miles. Of course it was infinitely easier going back downhill on a prepared trail.  I met a lucky hiker (no snowshoes) strugglin up in my snowshoe path on the way down.

When I got to Skyline Drive I walked over to Panorama and onto the AT over there.  Both snowshoe and XC ski tracks led to the AT.  Unfortunately they also led to a pile of human feces, uncovered, right in the middle of the trail.  Have they no sense of propriety or hygiene?  At any rate, I needed to hike from that point down to US 211 so I turned right, giving the poop wide berth, and descended to the highway where I walked back to the car.  A very short but intensely energetic hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment