Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Finished AT in Central District plus Dry Run Falls Rd.

Today (3/28) I hiked in Central District in spite of lots of snow.  First I hiked the Dry Run Falls Fire Rd.  Had to park at S. River Picnic Area because the overlook is under construction.  Day was overcast with occasional sun peeking through and the temperature hovered around freezing.  I debated whether to take snowshoes or just hike in overboots and decided on the latter.   The snow was deep (4-5 inches) on the top half of the Dry Run Falls FR, then there was a stretch in the middle that seemed to have been flattened by snowshoes (and I saw a bootprint) but further down the snow seemed untouched.  Go figure.  Close to the top the trail passes a really nice rock formation and in the mid section it runs next to the Dry Run (which isn't dry).  I hiked as far as the SNP boundary (2 miles according to the back of the PATC map) then returned.   It's my policy not to walk on road roads even though the road beyond the park was still under snow.  It was hard work, even going downhill.  I had thought that it would be easier going uphill because I had already broken trail but this turned out to be largely illusory.  My stride is longer going downhill and as the day warmed a bit, the snow got mushier. 

I saw a couple cascades on the stream but must have missed the Dry  Run Falls.  Or maybe I didn't, according to the map.  Nothing particularly notable.



I then moved on to finish the final little segment of AT I lacked in the Central District (0.6 mi. from Slaughter Rd. to the Bear Fence Mt. Loop Trail).  This was slow going.  The snow was very deep (I'd say 6 inches) and the trail rose steadily the entire time.  I got snow in my boots.  Nonetheless the views were great.




I stopped in at the recently opened Big Meadow Visitors Center to get a gift.  Had to bag out early to go to an afternoon event.

Total miles:  5.2, one new trail




2 comments:

  1. Please tell me how to find and download the snap500 trails spread sheet in google docs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a link. I thought I had stored it as a file on the blog. i'll figure out how to do that.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq1Ln8fJeURKdGt0S3Z6eWNHNUtXX1UxNjJkM093ZEE#gid=0

    Judo

    ReplyDelete