Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Harris Hollow and Big Devils Stairs

Last Monday I hiked up the Harris Hollow Trail to the Bluff Trail and then Big Devils Stairs.  I parked on 622 where there was one very nice parking spot.  Walking up on private land for a little over a mile, I was once again struck by the fragility of our right to access many Shenandoah trails.  Generous property owners allow the trails to cross their property but if they sell the land, the next home owner might not be so positively disposed.  Like many others, The Harris Hollow trail is largely an old woods road and was easy to follow.  I got a bit confused at it approached the Gravel Springs Shelter

From there I continued on my old friend the Bluff Trail.  When I crossed what I had previously thought was a completely undocumented trail (the Harris Hollow Horse Trail), I realized that I had simply failed to stay on the Harris Hollow Trail.  But I turned left and hiked up to the Hut access road and back to complete the HH Trail.  I then continued on the the junction with the Big Devils Stairs trail.  Big Devils Stairs has some fabulous views to the south and east and I sat on the rock contemplating them for a while, noticing in particular a well manicured field in the valley below.


Although that is clearly the best part of the trail, I slogged all the way to the bottom of the trail where a very unfriendly sign tells you you can't go any further. 

Turning back, I stopped for a brief rest and drink at the stream at the bottom of the trail.

I seem to recall that many years ago (more than 30), you could access the bottom of Little Devils Stairs from the road.  Too bad we lost that opportunity. 

Saw some nice asters in bloom on the rocks.

I retraced my steps and returned to the car.  Not a very exciting day.

11.5 miles for the day, 2 new trails, 4.1 new side trail miles. 





No comments:

Post a Comment