Total Pageviews

Monday, September 17, 2012

Fabulous circuit hike in Southern District

Today's hike was pretty much the perfect hike:  scenic vistas, streamside walking, great pools for dips, and good exercise.  I started at Skyline Drive at the Brown Mt. Overlook.  Hiked down (up) the Brown Mt. Trail which has lots of wonderful rocky outcroppings with views.













As you can see it was a spectacular day and fall is arriving fast.  Although it was misty and cool when I started out, the clouds burned off and it was warm by late morning.  Then I got down to Big Run and the Big Run Portal Trail.  I practically knocked a wasp nest out of a tree as I made my way down to the stream for lunch.

The river was lovely!

I would have taken a dip right there but there were two other people picnicking on the other side of the bridge.  The Big Run Portal itself was supposed to be just beyond the bridge (according to the guidebook) but I didn't find it within a "just" distance.  I took an overgrown side trail down to the water's edge but it wasn't worth the effort.  Perhaps the portal, which I could barely make out through the trees, is best viewed in winter.

Returning to the bridge and heading up the Big Run Portal Trail, I was dazzled by all the wonderful pools.  Most of them were inaccessible from the trail but I finally found a good one just before the junction with the Rocky Mountain Run Trail.

Wonderful and unusual flowers


I was taken with the bright red flowers nearby which didn't look like either cardinal flowers or bee balm.  I wonder what they are.  The pool itself had a deep spot and lots of fish about 5 inches long.  Excellent dip!

Then I turned up the Rocky Mt. Run trail to return to the car.  It too had some nice pools but the water ran out half way up.  The final pull up to the Brown Mt. Trail junction was fairly steep but well graded.  This hike I'll return to.

Mileage for day:  10 miles, 2 new trails, 8 miles of new side trails.

So far I've hiked 100 side trails!  

No. of Side TrailsSide Trail Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment