Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Summer at the spring equinox

Yesterday I did a half-hike to test out my achilles tendon.  Parked in Nethers and did a circuit up the Robertson Mountain Trail and down the Corbin Hollow Trail (that completes the trifecta of Corbin trails).  I got a somewhat late start and by the time I was slogging up Robertson, it was pretty hot.  Old Rag was swathed in a cloud but it was all sun on my side of the valley.  The Mt. Robertson Trail is pretty much unrelenting up from its departure from the Weakley Hollow Trail to the summit.  I had rather low expectations because Artunus, who had been there before, said it was not worth the effort.  Imagine my surprise when I saw these great views from the summit! 





The descent down to the Old Rag Fire Road (my old pal) was rocky and steep at first but then leveled out.  Then I walked up the ORFR to the Corbin Hollow Trail.  The buds were just coming out on a few of the deciduous bushes. 




Quite soon I heard the stream bubbling along and planned to stop for lunch once the trail pulled near.  I was amazed to see the bloodroot in bloom. 




Back during my thru hike, I didn't see bloodroot until late March in Georgia.  I also saw some cool looking funghi and a beautiful little white flower of unknown name.






I noticed on the opposite side of the stream valley that there were great rock outcroppping on what I assume was the Pinnacle Ridge.  Looked like a good place to visit!

Once again, I saw great trail work like this jack holding up a blowdown. 


Finally I reached the river and sat down for a gourmet lunch of PB&J while enjoying the little cascades nearby.  Quickly I returned to the Weakley Hollow Fire Road and back to the car, passing a number of budding redbuds along the way. 

My achilles tendon pained me a little, mostly going uphill, but I have no lasting pain.  So next week I hope to resume full hiking days. 

Total miles hiked so far:  131.5




Because Artunus wants me to show progress toward the SNAP 500 total, including the AT (even though I don't count AT miles in the numerator) here's my overall progress:



No comments:

Post a Comment