Total Pageviews

Monday, March 12, 2012

Injury and setback

I've been walking with achilles tendon pain for a long time now.  I was told that I was in no danger of tearing the tendon but that I should do stretching exercises every day.  I accepted the first part of the advice but failed to keep up with the stretching exercises.  Last Monday when finishing my usual walk (4.5 miles up and down as many hills as I can find in one hour) I felt a stab of pain followed by heat in my foot and achilles tendon.  I hobbled home but kept off it for a couple of days and went to see the podiatrist on Wednesday.  He thought I might have a small tear (or not) but told me not to walk far for a week.  It has been pure misery because the weather has been terrific.  I've been compliant (sort of).  On Saturday I strolled about 4 miles at a gentle pace.  Feeling really great, I decided to chance some hiking.  On Sunday, my birthday, I had been planning for months to do the Old Rag circuit.  I realized that would be stupid but I really wanted to go out so I did two tiny hikes, went slowly, and didn't feel any pain.  I hiked up Hawksbill on the Upper Hawksbill trail from the upper parking lot.  The top was incredibly beautiful -- warm, clear, and windless.

Old Rag from the top of Hawksbill

Hawksbill looking northwest
Then, just to add another trail to my inventory, I descended via the Byrd's Nest #2 fire road then returned to the parking lot on Skyline Drive. (about 2.3 miles total).  Then we drove down Skyline Drive to Bearfence Mountain.  This was a wonderful new discovery for me.  I hadn't realized, though, that the trail would be a little bit like the trail on top of Old Rag.  From the parking lot it's less than half a mile (scrambling up a bunch of rocks) to a fabulous panoramic viewpoint.  From there I was amazed to see that there was still snow at the ski area on Massanutten.  It was at least 60 degrees on top of the ridge. 

Bearfence Mt. looking south

Bearfence Mt. the trail goes over the rocks

Bearfence Mt. looking east

The birthday girl

Last snow on Massanutten ski area in distance


The trail then continues on to the summit of Bearfence Mt. (I bushwacked up to the real summit) then returns, via the A.T., back to the trail to the parking lot.  I believe the map at the parking lot said the loop was 1.2 miles.  So for less than 3.5 miles of walking I had two fabulous viewpoints and completed three new side trails for my birthday.

Then for an extra special birthday present, as we were driving north on Skyline Drive we saw a big bear followed by 3 medium sized bears crossing the road.  They were moving fast, jumping over the uphill wall to cross the road before we got close.  

Best of all, I felt no pain in either of my achilles tendons.  I will try to be good until I go back to the doctor on Thursday but I hope to resume hiking next week.

Total miles hiked:  122.8. 

No comments:

Post a Comment