Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

AT bits plus Crusher Ridge

Last week I couldn't hike due to a trip to visit my dad in Florida and other demands.

Yesterday I hiked in Central District (at last Skyline Drive opened up!).  Several chunks of the AT plus the wonderful Crusher Ridge Trail.  It was a sunny cold day (well below freezing at 9 AM) with a steady wind blowing.  The trails were a combination of bare dirt, crusty snow, and patches of ice where prior footsteps had filled in with water and frozen.  Some parts of the trail were a bit treacherous but it was mostly good walking. 


I got an early start at Jewell Hollow Overlook and hiked north on the AT, stopping for a pitstop at the very nice Byrd's Nest 3 facility. Then hiked on ostensibly as far as Meadow Spring Trail.  I'm not sure how I did it, but I missed the trail junction.  A short while later I said, "wow, that looks like Mary's Rock ... that must be a common geological formation along here."  Wrong.  There's only one Mary's Rock.  I didn't believe it until I saw the post marking the side trail to Mary's Rock. 


Trail between Meadow Spring and Mary's Rock frozen solid


The trail was really icy, especially on the section I didn't need to hike (natch!).  Because I was pressed for time, I didn't go out to the rock but the views to the west were plenty spectacular anyway.

I stopped briefly at the Byrd's Nest 3 hut to sign the log book and skedaddle.



Then I drove down to the parking lot for Corbin Cabin Cutoff and hiked south on the AT to the Crusher Ridge Trail.  There was a fair amount of snow on the AT at this point (its being in the shade and on the western side of the ridge) but once I hit the Crusher Ridge Trail, there was little snow.  While the leaves were icy, there were no traction problems.  The Crusher Ridge Trail was a pleasant surprise.  It gently descends into the valley with lots of views west to a lovely lake (Lake Arrowhead Park?) and farms.

Tulip Tree Cabin
When I got to the SNP boundary there was a sign for the Tulip Tree Cabin.  I was curious about the cabin because I'd read in the Potomac Appalachian that is was built in a traditional design using traditional tools (by traditional volunteers) so I walked the 0.3 miles over to check it out.  It is, in fact, a lovely 2-room cabin with an outdoor fireplace and picnic table.  Nearby the cabin were a few discards that might have been used in construction.



After rejoining the trail, I sauntered back up the trail which is never steep because it used to be a road.
When I returned to the car, I had just a little bit of time left so I filled in another short blank in my AT sections.  I parked at Stony Man parking lot and hiked through the Skyland Complex down to the stables and back.

At this point in my SNAP 500 quest I have no loops left.  Every time I hike a trail or section, I have to hike back and forth, except for one 17 mile section of AT for which I'll do a car shuttle with a hiking partner. 

I discovered an error in my mileage due to a decimal point placement so my total mileage to date is only 439.  Yesterday's total mileage was 15.2 of which only 6.7 miles and one additional trail counts toward the SNAP500.

Miles CompletedTrails Completed



No comments:

Post a Comment