Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Northernmost miles

Last night it snowed a bit and it was still snowing when I got up this morning.  I had hoped to do a nice long hike in the Central section but between the messy streets near home and the unknown condition of roads and trails out there, I decided to leave late and do a half-day hike in the most accessible section of SNP.  So I drove to Front Royal, parked on the side of US522 where the AT crosses, and hiked up from there.  This section was quite familiar to me because one of my standard getting-in-shape hikes before my thru hike had been to hike from 522 to Compton Peak and back, usually with a full backpack.  But I had never hiked it in snow before.  Winter and snow transform the woods into a wonderful and different place.  The air feels clear and clean. 

It was a very chilly day (probably 20 when I started) and quite breezy.  So I bundled up -- overboots, down mittens, 4 layers plus wind/rain jacket, hat and neck gaiter.  The sun was out only part of the time.  As I hiked I heard trees all around me groaning and cracking.  I figured it was only a matter of time before one fell. 

I was the first (and only) hiker on the trail from 522 to Possum's Rest.  There was between 1 and 2 inches of light fluffy snow when I started. 


As I climbed, the wind seemed to increase and it was quite cold when the sun went behind clouds.  The view was gorgeous from Possum's Rest but I hardly tarried because of the cold. 

View from Possum's Rest

View from Possum's Rest
I passed the kiosk showing the entrance to the Park and who we have to thank for the terrific condition of the trails and continued on until I reached the junction with the so-called Compton Gap Horse Trail (which is mostly the AT except for a 0.5 mile extension down to Chester Gap).



My main reason for rehiking the section from Harmony Hollow Connector to that junction was that I lacked that 1/2 mile of horse trail.  So instead of following the AT to the right, I turned left and hiked down to the SNP boundary at Chester Gap (at least the road).  Then I hiked back to the Tom Floyd Wayside to make myself some Gatorade and sign the log book.  Once again I was extremely thankful to the trail crews who built such wonderful rock steps up to Possum's Rest and all the switchbacks.  Thanks PATC! 

Tom Floyd Wayside
It was so cold that there were ice crystals in my Gatorade.  It was too cold to eat lunch so I just hoofed it back to the car.  Interestingly enough, although the temperature was well below freezing, by the time I climbed up the hill around the National Zoo property, much of the snow on the south facing slope had melted or sublimated.  I was doing fine on the final stretch when all of a sudden I tripped on something and fell flat on my face. 

I was struck by the nature of the trail near to 522.  This is one of the few places on the whole AT where you are walking essentially in people's backyards.  Except when walking into trail towns, the only other place I know of like this is near Vernon and Union, NJ.  It's amazing that the AT is as remote as it is, given the population density on the east coast. 

Total mileage:  8.6 miles; one new trail


No comments:

Post a Comment